Canadian Girl Guides cancel U.S. travel ahead of ban

Mar 17, 2017, 01:25
Canadian Girl Guides cancel U.S. travel ahead of ban

The announcement comes days before President Donald Trump's new USA travel ban comes into effect on Thursday.

President Donald Trump has said he wants to keep "bad hombres" out of the US - but his travel restrictions are now keeping a somewhat less scary-sounding group out of the country: the Girl Guides of Canada.

"At Girl Guides of Canada, we know our members value the safe, inclusive and accepting space that Guiding provides", the statement read.

In a joint statement by worldwide commissioner Sharron Callahan and director of provincial operations Holly Thompson as reported by the CBC, the scouting organization notes that "While the United States is a frequent destination for Guiding trips, the ability of all our members to equally enter this country is now uncertain".

While some US trips are already scheduled and approved, the Girl Guides of Canada reports the Provincial International Assessors will contact the "small number of groups" about the next steps.

Spokeswoman Sarah Kiriliuks said Monday the organization's membership is diverse and inclusive and leaders anxious some girls could get left behind when a group tried to enter the U.S.

Kidnap Victim Pops Out of Car Trunk at Gas Station
A woman says she was forced into her vehicle at gunpoint, robbed of her cell phone and wallet, and later ordered into the trunk. She told police the suspect demanded money, then ordered her to get in the trunk when she said she did not have any.

The organization also said a planned summer trip to a camp in California had been moved to a different location.

Sarah Kiriliuk, the Girl Guides national manager of marketing and communication, told Canada's The Star that the decision to stop all trips to the United States "has to do with safety".

The suspension includes short trips and all travel through USA airports.

"This just speaks to the Girl Guides of Canada and our commitment to inclusivity", Kiriliuks said.

Canadian schools are also considering cancelling trips to the U.S.

Several schools and school districts across Canada debated going ahead with trips south of the border following the first executive order issued by President Donald Trump that imposed travel restrictions to citizens from seven Muslim-majority countries.