Park Geun-hye: Court ousts South Korea's scandal-hit president

Mar 12, 2017, 00:55
Park Geun-hye: Court ousts South Korea's scandal-hit president

Despite the ruling, she remains inside the presidential compound.

The Federation of Korean Industries (FKI) said it respected the court's decision to oust Park, while again offering what could be seen as an apology for its implication in the scandal that has led to the now former president's impeachment.

A presidential election is to be held within 60 days.

Prime Minister and acting President Hwang Kyo-Ahn said:"To stop internal conflicts from intensifying, we should manage the social order and keep a stable government so that national anxiety and the worldwide community's concern can be settled".

She is accused of improper connections to South Korea's biggest company, Samsung, whose chief, Lee Jae-yong, has been detained on charges of bribing Park's close confidante Choi Soon-sil.

Supporters of South Korean President Park Geun-hye watch a live broadcast of a Constitutional Court decision on a smart phone during a rally opposing her impeachment near the Constitutional Court in Seoul, South Korea, on March 10, 2017.

"The benefits of protecting the constitution that can be earned by dismissing the defendant are overwhelmingly big".

Park also now has the dubious distinction of being the nation's first democratically elected leader to be expelled from the Blue House.

With Park now having lost immunity afforded to the president, the prosecution is said to be gearing up to reestablish a special team to delve into allegations surrounding the former president.

The court said Park had "completely hidden the fact of (Choi's) interference with state affairs". His trial began on Thursday.

Lee denied any wrongdoing. The election day is highly likely to be set on May 9 as there are several public holidays in the first week of May including Buddha's Birthday on May 3 and Children's Day on May 5. Both of her parents were assassinated.

Millions demonstrated every weekend on the streets calling for her to step down.

It's believed the deaths occured as hundreds of people tried to storm the courthouse where Park's impeachment was upheld.

According to the same news agency, two pro-Park protesters died from injuries suffered in the clashes, including a 72-year-old man, who was found bleeding from his head near the Constitutional Court. Six people were injured, protest organisers said.

Protesters were setting up equipment in central Seoul early on Saturday and small groups of police were on the streets.