After a Month in Coma, CRPF Commandant Chetan Cheetah Discharged

Apr 06, 2017, 02:00
After a Month in Coma, CRPF Commandant Chetan Cheetah Discharged

"He was discharged today", Amit Gupta, Additional Medical Superintendent at the AIIMS Trauma Centre, said. Owing to the seriousness of Cheetah's condition, he was flown to Delhi's AIIMS trauma centre where he was pressed with antibiotics and his wounds were incessantly cleaned.

Doctors, however, are not very hopeful of him regaining vision in the right eye.

Uma, daughter of an Army officer, who knew Cheetah from her school days said he is a fighter and a man of commitment.

"Within 24 hours of admission, surgery was conducted to remove a portion of the skull which had suffered the bullet injury to reduce intra-cranial pressure".

Cheetah was critically injured in an encounter in Kashmir's Bandipora district on February 14, in which at least three soldiers and one militant were killed. "He had to undergo multiple brain surgeries including two CSF diversion (a procedure used to drain fluid from the brain) and several debridement (removal of damaged or infected tissues)", Hindustan Times quoted Dr Deepak Aggarwal, professor of neurosurgery at Aiims as saying. That strengthened my faith, but the journey is not over yet.

Marvel Heroes Omega Is Coming To PS4 This Spring
The MMO will feature 38 Marvel Heroes including Captain America, Deadpool, Wolverine, Iron Man, and more . Already available on PC, data will not be transferable from the PC and console releases of the game.

However, doctors said that Cheetah would have to undergo a rehabilitation process in the form of physiotherapy and speech therapy for a few months for complete recovery. He was first taken to a military hospital to be treated for his injuries, which included bullet injuries in the head and fractured limbs. Subsequently, the plastic surgery team worked on covering his wounds.

Cheeta's recovery - who is now conscious and able to talk - has been termed as "miraculous" by the doctors at Aiims, The Times of India reported.

"His survival is a miracle, a victory of willpower", reports quoted Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, Kiren Rijiju as saying.

As for Chetan himself, he will soon be returning to his home in Delhi to his wife and two children. The army chief General Bipin Rawat had also gone to visit him at the base hospital following the encounter where he spoke to the doctors regarding his health.