At least 1 dead after shooting near mall in South Florida

Apr 12, 2017, 00:53

The shootings at the Equinox Fitness Club at the upscale Shops at Merrick Park mall in Coral Gables occurred after an argument between Abeku Wilson, the former employee, and Janine Ackerman, the general manager, police said.

A Florida gym that was the scene of a deadly shooting Saturday says it is "deeply saddened" by the deaths of two employees, 35-year-old Janine Ackerman and 42-year-old Marios Hortis.

The shooting unfolded at the Equinox gym inside the Shops at Merrick Park just before 1 p.m., a short time after the suspect, 33-year-old Abeku Wilson, was terminated from his position as a fitness trainer.

Police in Miami-Dade County said Abeku Wilson was sacked for "workplace violence" and escorted from the high-end Equinox Gym on Saturday.

Police say Wilson was sacked earlier in the day for his workplace violence. Eveliny Bastos-Klein, the client who finished up an hour session with Wilson at noon., said she made an appointment to see him again on Wednesday.

A representative of the Miami-Dade Police Department, which is now handling the case according to Denham, could not immediately be reached. However, despite efforts to save them, both succumbed to their injuries.

On Sunday, Equinox shared a brief statement regarding the shooting. An investigation into the incident is ongoing. The coworker's boyfriend, Arturo Exum, was charged with fatally shooting Reid after his girlfriend allegedly summoned him to the restaurant. According to data from the BLS, 76.2 percent of workplace homicides were intentional shootings.

Interviews with Equinox customers and details from police reveal a tight timeline from morning confrontation to killing.

"She was a radiant human being, and this is just. there are no words", Mabel De Buenza, who previously worked with Ackerman, said. "I didn't notice anything amiss", she said Saturday. A trainer who had been axed earlier in the day opened fire in front of gym members and then committed suicide before their eyes. Police said Wilson didn't stay away long.

She and her husband, Bruno, heard five shots - first two, then three.