Joining bid with Mexico could help US gain FIFA support

Apr 10, 2017, 01:11
Joining bid with Mexico could help US gain FIFA support

According to CONCACAF president Victor Montagliani, Canada, the United States and Mexico will make a joint bid for the 2026 World Cup, per David Conn of the Guardian.

Speaking before Saturday's annual Concacaf congress in the Caribbean island of Aruba, Montagliani contrasted the prospect of the countries' cooperating on a World Cup with the division represented by the wall along the Mexican border planned by USA president, Donald Trump.

No CONCACAF nation has hosted the tournament since the US did so in 1994, and with the World Cup taking place in Russian Federation in 2018 before moving to Dubai in 2022, there's a good chance the region would have priority in 2026.

Although each country individually would have the infrastructure to host the World Cup alone, Montagliani said, a joint bid would be "a fit" with the new 48-country, 80-game format of the 2026 tournament.

A decision on the successful 2026 bidder is expected in May 2020.

"We're the only G-8 nation to not host the World Cup", Montagliani said in January 2014 in releasing the CSA's 2014-18 strategic plan.

If this all means we get another World Cup championship match in the Rose Bowl, I'm fine with it. "Does the U.S. need the other two?"

Montagliani appeared to be referring to divisiveness caused by U.S. President Donald Trump's follow-through on a campaign promise to build a wall along the border with Mexico. South Korea and Japan shared the hosting duties in 2002, marking the first time the tournament was held in multiple countries.

But, barring that, CONCACAF - the North and Central American governing body, which also includes the Caribbean and a few South American countries - is believed to be due for an edition of the world's most popular sports event, which rotates between the continents.

The landscape of friendlies could be changing dramatically for the United States men's national team in the next World Cup cycle. Rumors about a joint bid between the three countries had been surfacing for months.

The North American bid appears very plausible, considering Federation Internationale de Football Association barred Europe and Asia from entering the 2026 race because those continents will have hosted the previous two tournaments. UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said in February that "the World Cup can not be played" in the us if Trump's policies would stop players, fans and journalists from freely entering the country.